Please copy these notes into your notebook ----you will be tested on this material.....
Protein Synthesis: This is how genes control the body:
A. A codon is a sequence of three bases in DNA.
1. Each codon represents a specific amino acids.
2. Ribosomes assemble amino acids in the same order that they are listed in the DNA codons.
3. The amino acids will make a protein.
4. The order of the amino acids (determined by the DNA sequence) determines the shape of a protein.
5. The shape of a protein determines its function.
Therefore: The sequence of bases in DNA will determine the functions of all the proteins in the body.
The proteins build and run the body.
B. RNA carries the genetic code to ribosomes.