odyssey charter school
WELCOME TO THIRD GRADE
How wonderful to welcome you to an exciting new year! We look forward to meeting and working with your child. Get ready for adventures in learning! The following are some of our procedures which we hope you will find helpful.
· ARRIVAL TIME: Students must be seated in the classroom by 8:00 a.m.; tardy entries create a distraction. With so much to cover in a day, we begin promptly at 8:00 a.m.
· SNACKS: AS a healthy school, Odyssey continues its commitment to teaching food choices that will nourish mind and body. We ask that you bring in food that will keep students on their learning track. Cut-up fruit, vegetables, and peanut butter sandwiches are some ideas. Please bring in a bottle of clear water, labeled with student’s name, which they may drink at appropriate times throughout the day. Please do not send flavorings for the water – it must be clear water only.
· MEDICATION: All medication, even cough drops and Tylenol, must be administered in the office. Please do not send your child to school with any medication on their person. All medication must be brought to the front office by a parent/guardian.
· BIRTHDAY POLICY: Please refer to the policy signed at registration which states that Odyssey will celebrate with an emphasis on the child rather than food. Any food brought in will need to meet nutritional guidelines.
· VOLUNTEERS: We welcome volunteers! We have at least 2 field trips planned, and our “Read-Aloud” program gives you valuable time with your children, as well as volunteer hours. There are many needs within the classroom, as well as work that can be done from home.
· UNIFORMS: Pants are KHAKI (beige); shirt must be Odyssey shirt with logo; shoes are closed. On dress down days students must comply with the Brevard District dress code.
BACK PACKS: In Kindergarten through 3rd grades, we are working on developing our classroom communities. The school discourages the use of backpacks in Kindergarten through 3rd grades. Extenuating circumstances should be brought directly to the teacher. We will be providing the students with canvas bags to use instead of backpacks. All student books will be kept at school; the entire Math book is accessible online. Each student will be given a log in and password if you would like to review material from the book. If there is an extenuating circumstance where a backpack is necessary please see one of us and we will help facilitate this.
· HOMEWORK – Parent involvement is crucial to third-grade success. You will see an increase in work and homework for your child this year; it is a big learning year! This is the year they will participate in FCAT. 20 minutes of reading time DAILY is required as homework. Make this valuable time, as you read together with your child, a bonding experience. Homework has a two-fold purpose: it shows the material that is being covered in class and how your child is doing. Here is a general idea of the homework week:
o Monday: Write words on spelling list three times. Write sentence for each word. Study each night. Test is Friday.
o Daily: Math; Language Arts
o Science/Social Studies Reports or Projects will be due quarterly.
· Our curriculum includes Imagine It Reading, Spalding Spelling, SRA Reading and Science Laboratories, Florida Math Connects, Scott Foresman Science, and Nutrition and Gardening.
CLASSROOM RULES AGREEMENT
1. Follow Directions
2. Use Permission
3. Politely Participate
4. Respect Yourself and Others.
We take incidences of bullying very seriously. In the event of such an occurrence the following actions will be taken:
1st Offense – Letter of apology
2nd Offense – Silent Lunch
3rd Offense – Call home to parents
4th Offense – Referral
5th Offense – Suspension
HEART, MIND, AND HAND: Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be involved in your child’s academic and physical education!
Specials 4 day rotation: Art, Media, Music, PE
Third grade class is amazing
Un Mensaje de Miss Munoz
Dear Parents, Welcome to Spanish class! My name is Debora Munoz. I will be working as the director of the Spanish Honor society in Odyssey this school year and Third grade Math and Science teacher. I have successfully developed and implemented Spanish programs for almost 10 years. I hold a B.A in education from the Sacred Heart University in Lima Peru. I also hold a M.A in religious education and course work in English for 3 years at the Icpna Institute in Lima. Our Spanish program will be divided in beginners, intermediate and advance level. Students that reach the highest scores will be able to be part of the Spanish Honor Society .The purpose of this group of students is to recognize high student achievements in Spanish and to promote a continuity of interest in Hispanic Studies. Spanish credits will be given according to how students score in testing. This year we are offering Spanish I and II. Students will master the following abilities in order to get high school credits. Main Goal Students will be able to develop communicative competence in listening, speaking, reading and writing. Through essentially an inductive approach, students will gain an intuitive understanding of how the language is acquired and how they can use this knowledge to express themselves linguistically. By developing and refining their intuitive skills, students also acquired a basic understanding and appreciation of the diversity of cultures in the Spanish speaking world. Skills: Listening: Students will be able to distinguish new sounds from their native language Speaking: Language is introduced and expanded upon slowly - There is repeated exposure to speak. Many exercises allow the students to respond physically to Spanish TPR (Total Physical Response) commands. Reading: During this skill students explore Spanish speaking culturesand investigate relevant topics. Students will comprehend questions and understand everyday life in Spanish speaking countries around the world. Writing:At the end of the Spanish course students will be able to write in the target language. Workbook pages can be completed during class. We all together review the lesson taught at the end of the day. Please contact me if you need more information firstname.lastname@example.org Spanish Honor Society induction will be held December 13th at 9:00am
odyssey charter school